Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-TikTok ban challenge set for September arguments -Capitatum
TradeEdge-TikTok ban challenge set for September arguments
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 13:41:27
Washington — A U.S. appeals court on TradeEdgeTuesday fast-tracked oral arguments in a challenge to a law that could lead to a ban on the widely popular social media app TikTok.
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit set oral arguments over the measure for sometime in September, amid time pressure for the app to be sold by its China-based owner within a year or be removed from U.S. app stores.
TikTok and its parent company filed a lawsuit against the Justice Department earlier this month over the law, which was signed by President Biden in April after Congress approved the measure as part of a broader foreign aid package. The video-sharing app and its parent company argue in the lawsuit that the law violates First Amendment rights of users, among other allegations. With the petition, the parties asked the court to block enforcement of the rule.
A group of prominent TikTok users also filed a lawsuit earlier this month challenging the law.
The app has been under fire by U.S. officials for years amid warnings that China's government could gain access to its data and use it to manipulate or spy on Americans. But a renewed push against the app gained momentum in Congress earlier this year, as lawmakers approved a foreign aid package that included the provisions requiring its sale within a year.
In its lawsuit, TikTok said the law would force a shutdown of the app by early next year, arguing that the sale of the app is untenable before then.
"There is no question: the Act will force a shutdown of TikTok by January 19, 2025, silencing the 170 million Americans who use the platform to communicate in ways that cannot be replicated elsewhere," the filing says.
Scott MacFarlane and Melissa Quinn contributed reporting.
Kaia HubbardKaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital, based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (1)
Related
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Kentucky GOP moves to criminalize interference with legislature after transgender protests
- Lindsay Lohan tells Drew Barrymore she caught newborn son watching 'The Parent Trap'
- Trump-backed Senate candidate faces GOP worries that he could be linked to adult website profile
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Manhattan D.A. says he does not oppose a 30-day delay of Trump's hush money trial
- Woman accuses Dak Prescott of sexual assault after Cowboys QB sues her on extortion claim
- 'Significant injuries' reported in Indiana amid tornado outbreak, police can't confirm deaths
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Massive crowd greets Shohei Ohtani, his wife and Dodgers upon arrival in South Korea
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Cardinals' Kyler Murray has funny response to Aaron Donald's retirement announcement
- AFP says Kensington Palace is no longer trusted source after Princess Kate photo editing
- Tractor-trailer goes partly off the New York Thruway after accident
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Cardinals land QB Desmond Ridder, send WR Rondale Moore to Falcons in trade, per reports
- Best Buy recalls air fryers sold nationwide due to fire, burn and laceration risks
- Lyft and Uber say they will leave Minneapolis after city council forces them to pay drivers more
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
John Oliver Has a Surprising Response to Kate Middleton Conspiracy Theories
AP Decision Notes: What to expect in Ohio’s presidential and state primaries
Kensington Palace Is No Longer a “Trusted Source” After Kate Middleton Edited Photo, AFP Says
Trump's 'stop
Men's pro teams have been getting subsidies for years. Time for women to get them, too.
Mississippi ballot initiative process faces narrowing path to being restored
Lost Your Keys Again? Get 35% off Tile Bluetooth Trackers